Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> bullshit! we are trading quality for what?

Please don't be so aggressive and leave some time to RM to respond to your
comments before posting more mails....

> Or there's something else behind the curtains that it's not being said
> (consciously), like ubuntu LTS?

Yes, it was said in the RM keynote at debconf.

Note that the announce is meant mainly for the users/press, not for

But the idea of a press release came from the press team and not
necessarily from the RM. It would have been nice to have a simultaneous
announce for DD on d-d-a with more developer-oriented content.

> > accommodate the needs of larger organisations and other users with a long
> > upgrade process, the Debian project commits to provide the possibility to
> > skip the upcoming release and do a skip-upgrade straight from Debian
> > GNU/Linux 5.0 ("Lenny") to Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 (not yet codenamed).
> so, what's the point in preparing squeeze? let's just skip it then

We are not only targetting big corporations. Either we do a full release
or we extend lenny to 3 years with lenny and a half. The release team
decided for the former.

It will be difficult but I think it's worth trying. As Colin commented in
the RM keynote, a one year release requires some discipline onto us, it's
not necessarily a bad idea to force ourselves into this.

> Not to mention how many angry replies are coming, I feel the community
> of debian developers is not accepting this decision silently.

I have almost never seen a decision that was not commented... that does
not mean that it won't last. The RM are entitled to take the decision and
while I was also surprised by it, I don't intend to work against it.

And there are many other people here at debconf that feel the same. You'll
see it in the video of the RM keynote.

Raphaël Hertzog