Re: Re-thinking Debian membership - take #1: inactivity

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 05:38:58AM +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 06:49:35PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 06:23:05PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > I have nothing against this in principle, but how is this any
> > > different from the people who manage the MIA database?
>
> > The main difference is the automation of the process. MIA, which
> > currently is 1 person, requires manual activity and efforts. If we
> > agree that automatically, if you stop exercising your DD rights, you
> > go away after 2 years, the energy which we currently spend in MIA [1]
> > can be better spend in doing other QA activities.
>
> > I really don't see the benefit in the added MIA layer. You stop
> > working for Debian for a long period: you go away; the day you'll
> > re-gain interest: you can come back.
>
> If it's going to be automated, does it behoove us to also send automated
> mails to DDs that are getting close to the two-year limit, warning them?  Or
> is it your view that 2 years without activity is so far beyond what's
> reasonable that there's no reason to give such a warning?
>
> You also seem to be suggesting that returning to Debian after being
> auto-MIAed should be a trivial process ("the day you'll re-gain interest,
> you can come back").  That's a departure from our current process, which
> requires those who go MIA to re-submit themselves to the NM process.  If it
> *is* your position that MIAed developers should have an easier time getting
> back into the project, à la emeritus status, can you explain why?  For my
> part, I strongly disagree with such an idea, which is one reason I think
> "warning: your account will be disabled next month" type mails would be
> beneficial, so that there's less pressure on us to give MIA developers a
> pass when it comes to getting back in.

If someone goes through the arduious process of becomeing a DD:
proving their knowledge of:
a. FLOSS ideals,
b. Debian ideals,
c. FLOSS legal ideas,
d. computer languages,
e. social skills
f. and patience to wait for various approvals,
account creation,
g. getting packages though NEW and
h. making uploads that dont damage users systems.
And then assuming they go MIA, get their account deactivated and then reapply
for DD status.
What are they expected to show to be readmitted?
I dont assume that they lost any of those skills in a-h.
Is it a show of re-commitmant needed?
have sponcored uploads to recheck their attention to detail?
ask them to start out as a DM for a probation period to limit their voting
rights?
-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|