Re: DAM and NEW queues processing

On Wednesday 24 June 2009, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Describing people like Samuel Thibault or Chris Lamb as "people who are
> ready when they enter NM", and therefore implying that if you take more
> than 6 months, it's because you were not ready, is just insulting for
> all the other applicants who were also ready when they entered NM, but,

No, it's not and it also does not imply that at all.
It just means that they did an NM where the emphasis was on checking
skills and where some steps could probably be skipped or kept very short
because skills had already been proven in practice.
For other people NM is more a learning process which naturally takes
longer. And as several people have pointed out, that is perfectly OK. And
certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

I suspect that in both these cases their NMs used their discretion in
tailoring the process to the individual applicant. And that is exactly
how it should be. And it clearly was also accepted by the FD and DAM as
otherwise they would not be DDs now.

> because of bad luck (busy AM, busy DAM, etc), ended up spending a year
> and a half in the process.
>
> Chris Lamb and Samuel Thibault both applied very late. Much too late.

Why? IMO it can be a valid choice. Your link clearly shows that Samuel's
focus has never been on package maintenance, so maybe he's never felt the
need to be a DD, or at least did not see it as a priority.

I know that was the case for me: I was perfectly happy just contributing
to D-I. It was just when it became a hindrance not to be a DD because my
involvement changed that I decided to join.

> Before they applied, several people have been wondering why they
> weren't DDs yet. I'm not sure why they didn't apply earlier, but the
> fact that our NM process is so unappealing might not be totally
> unrelated.

But it might also be totally unrelated. Maybe they just were not sure of
their own commitment to the project yet to justify the effort that NM is.