Re: DAM and NEW queues processing

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 18:26:43 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> Imagine a process where we "only" require 5 recommendation emails from
> existing DDs. First, it is obvious that different requirements would
> apply to those recommendations, than to the current advocate emails:
> since the applicant would be a DD almost immediately after the 5 emails
> have been received, it is clear that current DDs would only advocate
> people when they are fully ready to be a DD. And from the applicant
> point of view, getting 5 DDs to write an email recommending you looks a
> lot more difficult that answering 50 questions for which the answers are
> all available on the internet. It requires a lot more social skills, and
> probably a lot more work to get 5 DDs to trust you enough to say "I want
> X to become a DD now, provided that 4 other DDs agree."

It requires more work, but it's actually productive work, not just for
the sake of the process, so presumably it's work you would do anyway.
So I'm not convinced it's "a lot more difficult" to show you've done
good work than to reply to a bunch of questions, and more importantly I
think it's more likely to filter for the right people.

(also, on the topic of "people who are ready when they enter NM go
through it fast",
https://nm.debian.org/nmstatus.php?email=samuel.thibault%40ens-lyon.org)

Cheers,
Julien