Re: DAM and NEW queues processing

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> (23/06/2009):
>> Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> writes:

>>> sometimes, I look at a issue and think that the correct solution
>>> here is a package split, but I often end up working around it in
>>> other ways, just because of NEW.

>> In my experience, package splits go through in a week or two except in
>> rare situations.  That never seemed like a difficult wait to me.

> I guess that if people express those concerns, your experience is
> different than theirs.

Certainly true.  I guess I'm making the point in a roundabout way that I
wonder if packagers are a bit too impatient.  To me, if a delay of a
week or two is affecting your packaging decisions, it feels like there's
something wrong other than the delay, some mismatch of expectations from
what I would expect a development process to look like for Debian.

Waiting two months for a new package to enter NEW, on the other hand, is
more disruptive and has occasionally been a problem for me.  Somewhere
between two weeks and a month is where the delay crosses into becoming a
problem that sometimes needs to be worked around, IMO.

But I suppose I'm arguing that I don't think the project should expend
lots of time and energy on getting the delay below a week or two.