Creating an operating system

Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
I'd be perfectly fine with FD being the last review step, and DAM
"just" in charge of creating the account, trusting FD judgement.

What would we be missing that way?

What you miss is that I move all problematic candidates to DAM with the comment
"I'm not entirely happy, but its your job to decide..."
Also it is good to have more than one person read the mboxes, sometimes you just
miss important points/words because you're braindead after reading too many mails.

But this has the entirely obvious, easy solution: Reject if you are not confident that it is a good idea to have someone as DD.
Rejected at FD-level == not sitting in DAM queue. Problem solved.
The problem with the NM process is entirely that not enough people are rejected. Plain and simple.

The problem with Debian's processes is not that they are too slow, but that they are full of people who only degrade Debian.

You know what was frustrating last year?

  the freeze

and you know part of the reason?

  the RC bugs

And you know who caused them?

  underskilled and undercommited package maintainers

While its an obvious direction for the project to take, I would hate to see the people crating antipatterns[1] assuring lack of quality for Debian to do include new developers because it effectively means that I need to install a new operating system on my computer.

It is cool to talk about how Debian's NM is not fast enough and not inclusive enough, but it would be even better if one could actually do so in a way that does not forget that Debian's purpose is to actually produce an operating system. Lucas's proposal does exactly that.

What did Debian achieve since the Lenny release? The only thing I found was that I do not need an X config file anymore (for the pen to work), but that can largely be attributed to upstream. I can see how updating large quantities of packages is work, but the reason Debian is not innovating is because it has the wrong members.

Kind regards

T.

1. e.g. combine
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2009/06/msg00156.html
http://bugs.debian.org/286301
  PLAIN AND SIMPLE FAIL.
(If I am mild some day I will admit that including Matthias here is an exaggeration (or playing down the other, heavily stinking problems), but, really, how hard is it to close the orphaning bug when people become magically enchanted to fix eclipse?)
--
Thomas Viehmann, http://thomas.viehmann.net/