Re: Debian packages

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:54:31 -0800
Gabriel McCall <hellion_darklord@inbox.com> wrote:

> Dear Debian Package Maintainers,
>
> Is there a definitive way to download packages for a machine that,
>
> Simpler yet would be a multimedia bundle, or perhaps a networking
> bundle.  If I simply wanted a media player installed on my system and
> could download a package bundle which contained everything needed to
> install that specific media player it would be much easier than
> trying to download each individual package and install them all as
> individual binary packages.

You may want to look at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianCustomCD if
apt-zip doesn't fulfill your needs.

> Please help me understand why this is not something that is easliy
> found.

Because it's not easy to do.  Development of easier alternatives for
making custom pools is ongoing (though slowly as most developers who
need a pool also have hard drive space for a mirror for a particular
architecture).

Regards,

Daniel

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore