Assisting with NEW queue backlog (was: What is going wrong with NEW?)

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> speaking as somebody who contributed ~10 packages to the load, I
> would like to help to clear the queue. I have no pretention about
> being able to accept packages, but will try to browse some new ones
> this week-end and send a few patches for their debian/copyright file
> to their ITP bug if necessary, in order to save the time of the
> people taking the final decision. I encourage other contributors to
> the queue to do the same.
[…

I'm in the same situation, and I think this is an excellent idea.

> The packages are on merkel.debian.org in the
> /org/ftp.debian.org/queue/new/ directory. Since they are not
> accessible on http://ftp-master.debian.org, I guess that we are not
> allowed to communicate them to unofficial developpers.

Would that also exclude Debian Maintainers from participating?

What other actions can non-DDs undertake to assist with NEW queue
processing?

--
 \        “Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas |
  `\     are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.” |