Re: Debian and non-free

On Saturday 2008-09-20, Ben Finney wrote:
> cobaco <cobaco@linux.be> writes:
> > Censorship is nothing more or less then banning/prohibiting certain
> > speach in a certain forum
>
> No. Censorship is banning/prohibiting certain speech in *any and all*
> public forums. Generally, only a state has that power.

that's political censorship, as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship
details there's a lot more then just that covered by the term.

As an aside it's always been impossible to prohibit speech in '*any and all*
public forums'. A government can get close, but at best they can make it
livetreathingly dangerous.

> The crucial difference is that, in this case, only *specific* forums
> are denied for the speech in question. The ban does not extend further
> than those specific forums, hence it is not censorship.

specifically from the section on 'commercial censorship' (though that term
obviously doesn't really fit debian):

<quote>
Suppression of access to the means of dissemination of ideas can function as
a form of censorship.
</quote>

two of the examples given are:
- newspapers not publishing letters they don't agree with
- lecture halls not being rented to a particular speaker

Also note that we actually do allow mails from Sven IF forwarded (and thus
approved) by a DD. So we don't actually have a total ban.
--
Cheers, Cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)