Re: Re: FSF not considering Debian as Free

I haven't been following this thread super-close, so sorry if I missed
someone already throwing this out there.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html
Thanks, this had not been mentioned yet, and I missed the addition of these guidelines. The guidelines are very interesting, clarifying a lot what the FSF actually meant by "Free System Distributions". Due to at least the second paragraph of the Licence Rules, Debian can't have a policy guaranteeing compliance with these guidelines without possible conflicts with the Social Contract. I'm not sure the guidelines are final. I hope they're not and that a final version will drop this part. If it stays, asking the FSF to choose a clear name for those distributions could prevent people from having the impression that the absence of well-known distributions from the list means these distributions aren't Free.