Re: Debian and non-free

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:22:03 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> I was frightened by your message until I realized that it was not your
> message but one of Sven… please don't forward messages that you don't
> endorse (in particular when it contains wrong claims).

Ok, sorry for that :)
However, I still believe that censorship is a BadThing©, and everyone should be
given the chance to speak. But, well, I don't know what happened with Sven...
and I don't even want to touch the topic.

> > debian-multimedia.org is not maintained by debian, it is for patent
> > encumbered stuff, liable of a lawsuite or something such. It was done by
> > an ex-DD who left debian in discontent.
>
> That's simply wrong. Christian Marillat is still DD:
>
> $ finger marillat@db.debian.org
> [db.debian.org]
> uid=marillat,ou=users,dc=debian,dc=org
> First name: Christian
> Last name: Marillat
> Email: Christian Marillat <marillat@debian.org>
> Fingerprint: 1D7F C53F 80F8 52C1 88F4 ED0B 07DC 563D 1F41 B907
> Key block: finger marillat/key@db.debian.org

I know.

And that's why my proposal of (slowly) splitting to non-free.org is still
there. debian-multimedia.org has had a great success, and is widely used, even
if not mentioned in debian.org. That's however mentioned in community forums,
mailing lists, usenet newsgroups, $community. That's what I hope for a
"non-free.org" if we start using it.

That is, if any DD could maintain that, obviously.

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino