Re: Debian and non-free

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:24:18PM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
> > vote :-)
>
> Probably :)
> If I were a DD (-- and I'm NM), I'd think a bit more before proposing a GR to
> *completely* remove non-free. Non-free is, for some users, necessary (I'd
> happily --purge flashplugin-nonfree, but I can't -- I need it [work,
> university, $foo]).

Well, of course removing non-free from Debian and moving non-free to
non-free.org are pretty much the same thing, are they not?

The question is whether Debian as an institution supports it, not
whether humans that happen to be Debian developers do so.

> Non-free is there just because the free counterparts aren't optimal. Someday
> these will, and non-free will just disappear from Debian :)

I think otherwise.  8 years ago, people made the same arguments.  Back
then it was things like Netscape, I think.  Now we are talking flash.

There's already a lot of stuff people use over at
debian-multimedia.org and it's not stopping people from getting to
it.  Nor should it.  A simple line in a config file and you've got
access to flash, even if it's on suspiciousserver.ru.

-- John