Re: Debian and non-free

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:27:28 -0500, John Goerzen wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:24:18PM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
> > > vote :-)
> >
> > Probably :)
> > If I were a DD (-- and I'm NM), I'd think a bit more before proposing a GR
> > to *completely* remove non-free. Non-free is, for some users, necessary (I'd
> > happily --purge flashplugin-nonfree, but I can't -- I need it [work,
> > university, $foo]).
>
> Well, of course removing non-free from Debian and moving non-free to
> non-free.org are pretty much the same thing, are they not?
>
> The question is whether Debian as an institution supports it, not
> whether humans that happen to be Debian developers do so.

You're right, point for you.

> > Non-free is there just because the free counterparts aren't optimal. Someday
> > these will, and non-free will just disappear from Debian :)
>
> I think otherwise.  8 years ago, people made the same arguments.  Back
> then it was things like Netscape, I think.  Now we are talking flash.

Now is different. IMVHO the world is slowly adopting free software. In this
exact historical moment, we see laptops, netbooks and desktops sold by
*vendors* with GNU/Linux (be it Ubuntu, Xandros, or the like) pre-installed.
That's good news! I start hearing university colleagues, *Microsoft Windows*
users, asking what Linux is (the more informed ask me about Ubuntu). Public
institutions start using Free Software (be it just to contain costs!). This *is*
a world changing, IMHO.

In another 10 years (less, I hope!), the world will be more conscious about
Free Software, and its principles. And everyone will be suspicious over
closed-source. Am I a dreamer?

> There's already a lot of stuff people use over at debian-multimedia.org and
> it's not stopping people from getting to it.  Nor should it.  A simple line
> in a config file and you've got access to flash, even if it's on
> suspiciousserver.ru.

I got your point here. But that's because people have grown up with Windows,
MP3s, WMVs and MSN. I can promise my sons (I'm 21 -- it still takes a bit!)
won't ever touch a closed-source software ;) -- and that's the generation that
will support Free Software in the future. A generation which will grow up with
our principles (be them the 4 freedoms according to FSF, also "expanded" to
real life possibly) in mind.

Ok ok, I stop here my mail. I'm starting dreaming ABetterWorld©, but probably
it's just because I'm too tired and sleepy (23:38 here).

Just my thoughts,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino