Re: Debian and non-free

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:40:59 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:

> David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "Thus, although non-free works are not a part of Debian, we support their
> > users and provide infrastructure for non-free packages [..]."
> >
> > (I'm not a native speaker, that might be better worded)
>
> How about "... we provide support infrastructure for non-free packages
> [..]."?

That's better :)

> > Would that be clearer?
>
> Yes.  It doesn't have such an obvious double-meaning.
>
> By the way, RMS is on record as saying that if we do the shell game of
> moving non-free off of ftp-master.debian.org to
> ftp-master.non-free.org would mean FSF would recommend debian.
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-10/msg00048.html
> but there might be a better mail somewhere.

I was one of the GnuHerds developers at the time, and have had also private
mails with RMS... and that's the best mail I found in my inbox :)

> If anyone wants to try to deal with these cans of worms positively,
> I'll support them, but I'm not leading the charge because it doesn't
> bother me as much, as long as debian is 100% free software.

I'm not a DD (yet -- still in NM), so I can't help that much here.

What does it take to change the wording of the Social Contract? A bug filed to
"general"?

Kindly,
David

--