Re: Debian and non-free

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, David Paleino wrote:
> "Thus, although non-free works are not a part of Debian, we *SUPPORT* *THEIR*
> *USE* and provide infrastructure for non-free packages (such as our bug
> tracking system and mailing lists)."

We're providing support for the use of non-free works which we
distribute in non-free in the part of our mailing lists, bug tracking
system, and archive. That is to say, infrastructure, packaging, and
the corresponding human investment that goes along with them. This
doesn't mean that we support the use of non-free when there are free
alternatives available. We aren't supporting the use of non-free
packages over equivalent free packages. [I'd like to think that we'd
consider it a bug to distribute a non-free package which has a
total-functionality replacement free packages (or perhaps even
majority-functionality replacement).]

Don Armstrong

--
"The trouble with you, Ibid" he said, "is that you think you're the
biggest bloody authority on everything"