Re: DEP1: how to do an NMU

Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sun, Jun  1, 2008 at 00:42:57 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>
>> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 07:18:14PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
>>> Because bugs may also have been (or seem to have been overlooked). The
>>> risk here is that the person doing the NMU thinks "oh, that's an old
>>> issue and the fix seems so simple" and goes ahead and NMUs it, while
>>> there may be very valid reasons for not fixing it (or at least not with
>>> _that_ fix).
>> Then they should have been mentioned in the bug log, shouldn't they?
>>
>> ... and IME they usually *are* for active teams, so I'm not sure I can
>> buy your argument. I rather conclude that active teams won't risk
>> anything with the procedure which is being proposed, while not active
>> teams will see NMUs, as they should.
>>
> That's probably true for RC bugs, but I can't swear all bugs with a
> patch in my packages have a maintainer comment.  This DEP wants to
> extend NMUs to all bug severities.

NMUs are already possible for all bug severities. I don't know why some
people think they are not?

Though these bugs don't fall in the 0-day NMU rules, so the usual NMU
rules should be followed which includes some steps to contact the
maintainer after the bug was filed and before the NMU is uploaded (to
the DELAYED queue).

Cheers

Luk