Re: Discussion: Possible GR: Enhance requirements for General Resolutions

On Tuesday 30 December 2008, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> this will mean that future GRs would need 30 other people to support
> your idea. While that does seem a lot (6times more than now),

The main reason I'm somewhat uncomfortable with this is that in practice
not all 1000 developers participate in a vote, but only about 300 (367 in
last vote) or so. The number of developers following d-vote is also a lot
lower than the total number of DDs.

So effectively requiring 30 supporters means that you'll need support from
a substantial portion of DDs following d-vote. I personally feel it is
important that minority opinions do have a chance to be reflected on a
ballot: there has to be something to choose.

Could/should we distinguish between the number of supporters needed to
propose a GR (i.e. for the initial proposal) and the number of supporters
needed for amendments? Problem there is of course the fact that proposals
may end up as amendments and vice versa.

The last vote has also shown one other issue. In some cases it turns out
that proposed amendments should really e voted on separately. In that
case it would be good if the secretary could propose a "voting order"
when splitting a ballot, but currently there is no mechanism by which a
vote can be delayed.

Example: first vote on whether or not to release Lenny and then hold a
separate vote on "Exclude source requirements for firmware" and "Empower
release team" proposals (probably with a new discussion period to allow
proposal of suitable amendments).

Cheers,
FJP