Re: Voting on messages: a way to resolve the mailing list problems

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 10:35:14AM +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:

>> It is generally perceived that there are currently a couple of
>> problems with the way discussions happen on our mailing lists:

> I'm not sure yet if I like the idea, but for sure it is an intriguing
> one, thanks for pushing it through! I'll for sure follow its
> evolution.

Likewise!  It's a rather fascinating idea that echoes the way that
moderation is frequently done these days in large and very busy web fora.
I'm not sure that the idea will translate into e-mail, but I'm not sure
that it *won't* either, and it's proven reasonably effective at
highlighting interesting messages elsewhere.

> Now, I like your mechanism way more than moderation, because yours is
> self-regulating. Still, a problem I spotted with the shadow list also
> affects your mechanism, namely: context loss. What if a very
> bad/unpolite/rude/useless message gets scored down (which is quite
> probable) whether a nice/constructive/ polite response to it gets scored
> up (which is as probable)? People only following the "good" messages
> will experience context loss receiving a reply to a message they are
> missing.

Surprisingly (at least to me), in the few fora that I read this way, I
don't really miss the context.

I'm not sure that such a system is ever going to be a replacement for
people who read all of debian-devel or the like now.  What it may be
instead is a way for people who have unsubscribed from the full traffic to
see only the most interesting bits.  Sort of another digest sitting
between the full list traffic and developer news.