Re: Re-thinking Debian membership

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:46:13PM +0000, Helen Faulkner wrote:

> Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > Ana Guerrero a écrit :
> [...]
> >>>
> >> No, please, voting should be voluntary.
> >>

> > On one side I understand that you don't want make voting mandatory, but
> >
> > I really like the idea of:
> > - activity => you keep your membership
> > - inactivity => you lose your membership
> >
> > Maybe we could find another way to define activity, like (upload || vote
>
> Voting is both a right and a responsibility of members in any kind of democracy.
>   How can it be a responsibility if people can simply not bother to vote, with
> no penalty?

FWIW it's a debate that trolls a lot in many EU countries (there are
countries like .be where you are forced to, and many other where you're
not). I do not expect Debian to be able to solve that problem that has
absolutely no trivial solution, and I'd rather see us be on the
reasonnable side here.

FWIW you talk to a guy who never missed a single election in his
country, and I think voting (even white) is very important. Though, I
respect people who think that voting is a bad thing, whatever their
reasons are. We should not deny Debian citizenship to someone who
doesn't care to vote. Really.

And yes I know that voting [--------] (with as many dashes as there are
DPL candidates + 1) each year isn't really that of a burden. But there
are really simple other way to count activity like uploads, "lastlog" on
some debian machines, or even a reminder mail every year people would
have to reply to with a signed mail (and a hash so that people cannot do
that with a cron job, that would defeat the feature).
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit