Re: Developer Status

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 01:20:32PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> > But the more important part is IMO that the proposal *finally* respects
> > the non-packaging contributors (and there are many, I guess). For them
> > we can now have similar steps which in the end means DD rights without
> > the need of learning technical stuff they won't ever use.
> Non-packaging contributors were always supported in the current NM
> process - this issue was discussed at the time the process was created
> and the intention was that the T&S part of the process would reflect the
> specific contributions the person was making to Debian.  I understand
> there are NMs who've made it through like this.

Sorry, but that's not support, or at least not *complete* support.

I do want non-technical contributors in Debian (that's the main reason
why I'm generally in favor of this proposal), and I do want them to
*vote*, because Debian is more than the union of its parts^W packages.

Still, I won't be at ease with upload rights to the archive given by
default to non-technical contributors. The status quo did not support
inhibiting upload rights to voting developers (OK, it could have been
enforced via dak, but that's not an answer).

The new proposal supports much better non-technical contributors
(which Debian badly needs to recognize, really) and is not against the
kind of pre-existing support you have mentioned.

Cheers.

PS thanks to Jan Hauke for the previous you were replying to

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
Dietro un grande uomo c'è sempre /oo\ All one has to do is hit the right