Re: Debian and non-free

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 02:33:15PM -0400, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> Is it really worth it?  Are we really losing developers or users by not
> being endorsed by the FSF?

The problem isn't being or not endorsed by FSF. The problem is improving
the understanding of our users about what is Debian and what is not (and
in turn what is free and what is not). I frankly think that currently it
isn't obvious to a significant part of our users.

The proposed wording change would help, as well as non-free.org (even
only because it will require visibly different lines in sources.list
which can induce more people to think about it).

Then, if that course of actions will lead FSF to endorse us ... why not.

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the