Re: Debian and non-free

Le Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 06:12:08PM +0200, David Paleino a écrit :
> ---8<---
> 5. Works that do not meet our free software standards
>
> We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that do not
> conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have created "contrib" and
> "non-free" areas in our archive for these works. The packages in these areas
> are not part of the Debian system, although they have been configured for use
> with Debian. We encourage CD manufacturers to read the licenses of the packages
> in these areas and determine if they can distribute the packages on their CDs.
> Thus, although non-free works are not a part of Debian, we support their use
> and provide infrastructure for non-free packages (such as our bug tracking
> system and mailing lists).
> --->8---

Hi David,

long time no read ;)

I think that some kind of similar discussion started some weeks ago. For
me the problem is definitely that what "Debian" is is not well defined.
Is it the Project, the people, the software? I find it logigcally close
to impossible to say that something that is the product of the work of
the Debian developpers and contributors and that is hosted by the
Debian project is "not Debian". I usually solve it by saying that it is
not the "Debian operating system", but this does not reflect the
foundation documents.

> "Thus, although non-free works are not a part of Debian, we *SUPPORT* *THEIR*
> *USE* and provide infrastructure for non-free packages (such as our bug
> tracking system and mailing lists)."

For this to be best understood, we may need the help of a native speaker :(
I maintain some non-free packages, and if there is a bug I try to
solve it. In that sense, I "support" it: I provide support. But I do not
support it like somebody supports his football team: I do not wear
t-shirts and scarfs with the name of non-free software on it ;) I do not
encourage the use of non-free software: I provide free alternatives to
help people switching (To answer Don Armstrong, for me providing free
and non-free software of same function is not a bug, but a feature that
allow them to compete on the same platform).

[Actually, for the PDFs with forgotten source, I DO encourage their use.
Text can be extracted and formatting redone, for me that is free
enough. Furthermore for me this is not software. But again, I am not a
native speaker.]

> All this just to support *our* *users*, not non-free itself. Am I wrong?

No, but clarifying the foundation documents just before a stable release
is maybe not the most optimal use of our time ;)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,