Re: objecting to +nmuX syntax (was DEP1: Non Maintainer Uploads (final call for review))

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:33:47PM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> And the disadvantage of being less compact.

  len('1.2.3-1+nmu1') - len('1.2.3-1.1') = 3
  len('1:1.0.rc2svn20080706-0.1') - len('1.2.3-1') = 17

are we really discussing the disadvantages of *3* extra characters when
we have version numbers as different as the above ones?

3 characters are way less than the standard deviation of our version
number lengths ... I personally can't really consider this an argument.

> Who do we /need/ to make it clearer for? Who that wouldn't be familiar
> with the old syntax could /benefit/ from this explicitness?

For us, DDs, DMs, and more generally Debian power users which understand
the notion of NMU, and see the potential implications of a NMU. The
advantage in clarity of +nmu is valuable for all of us.  A simple usage
example is seeing the version you are upgrading to in $package_manager.
While "+nmu" jumps to my eyes, an extra ".1" does not.

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the