Re: confusion about non-free (Re: Bits from the Debian Eee PC team, summer 2008)

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 14:17:46 +0200
Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> wrote:
> I wonder what is it that we do wrong to spread this confusion so much that it
> affects even Debian developers themselves.
>
> What is this to blame?  Would it be the FTP archive layout?  Perhaps having an
> unified BTS?
>
> I'd be very interested in finding an answer to that question, and proposing a
> reform if we find something conclussive.

Before this thread goes much further, examine the context, please.
Read the whole thing and then tell me I am confused:

Earliest Eee models fully supported in Lenny

   Lenny will release with the atl2 ethernet driver and the non-free
   madwifi-source now works with the earliest Eee models as well, so our
   patched version is no longer needed.  This means Lenny will work with
   all of the earliest models of the Eee PC: 701 (2G and 4G surf, 4G,
   8G) and 900!

Free drivers

   Nick Kossifidis has [2]submitted patches on linux-wireless supporting
   the Eee models currently supported only by the non-free madwifi in
   ath5k.  This means we'll soon realize our goal of a completely
   [3]DFSG free system for the earliest models of the Eee.  By 2.6.27,
   or at the latest 2.6.28, these models will be supported.  Then we
   will see about making a patch to support whichever kernel makes it
   into Lenny.

My only error is that when I said "fully supported" I overstated the
case.  Lenny will certainly "work with" all of the earliest models.
Nowhere do I say that non-free is part of Lenny.  I go on to state
our goal to ensure ath5k makes it into a Lenny kernel.

I have it clear in my mind the distinction between Lenny and non-free.
If you knew me and supported my work, you'd know that I know that.  If
you knew my peers in the debian-eeepc project, you'd know that *they*
know that.

Do you know what I'm feeling now, at a time when I should have been
enjoying the first major success of our project after pouring months of
our lives into it?  Hurt.  Consider that, the next time you feel it is
your sainted duty to drag one of your fellow Debian developers before
the project and correct the error of his ways.

Ben