Re: legal question

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 05:29:30PM +0100, Marcos Mayorga wrote:
> Can I use the debian logotype to be little part of my logotype?
> I would like to expose this way my proudness of working with it.

On http://www.debian.org/logos/, it says:

	This logo or a modified version may be used by anyone to refer
	to the Debian project[...]

In other words, you are allowed to use it when referring to Debian.  If
your company is about Debian (for example, it provides support for
Debian system), then this may be allowed.  However, if this is only to
say "I like that project", your own logo is not the proper place to show
this.  On the contrary, it could lead people to think that your company
is Debian-specific while it is not, or worse, people who know your
company before they get to know Debian may think Debian is a spin-off of
your company, or something.

In short, using the Debian logo in your own logo is probably not
allowed, and would lead to confusion for the users.

Only if your company is Debian-specific, which means that people using
your services will always already know Debian (because otherwise the
service is useless to them), then it can be allowed, but I would still
advise against it.  Instead, just use the Debian logo as it is next to
your own logo in appropriate places.  For example, on a website, you
will of course put the company logo.  You can add a Debian logo next to
it, with a line saying you like it.  On paper letters, for example, it
will probably be more useful to only have your company logo.

If I didn't convince you not to use the logo in your logo, then please
consult a lawyer before you actually do so, and note that I am not one.
Also, your question would have been more appropriate for
debian-legal@lists.debian.org, so you should probably also ask there.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html