Re: soc-ctte discussion at DebConf7

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

...<snip>...
        I have seen no discussion on how the soc ctte is going to go
 about ensuring that such cultural differences are noticed, or taken
 into account in the resolution process; or that any thought has been
 taken to address cultural diversity in the dispute resolution process.

I see no way to legislate that cultural differences are "taken
into account." About the only way I see of ensuring that these are
considered is by selecting a committee that has a group with
diverse backgrounds.

        Are we planning on taking into account things like cultural
 differences? Or is the decision going to be that the majority rule (or
 the dominant culture) be the governing one?

I hope the committee will consider these differences before a
decision is made. I would propose that open, frank, and honest
communication between all the parties will bring such
differences to light. An independent objective third party like
the committee should be in a good position to recognize such
cultural differences. Whether any of the warring parties will
accept what the committee recognizes is an entirely
different matter ;-)

Richard