Multiple-winner elections and Condorcet (Was: Re: soc-ctte discussion at DebConf7)

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 01:27:00PM +0200, Jacobo Tarrio wrote:
[ on the Debian Condorcet method ]
>  It's targeted to finding the one winner, but it's easy to adapt to finding
> a list: get the winner, then remove it from the list of options and get the
> new winner, then remove it from the list of options and get the new winner,
> etc.

The reason we use the Condorcet method (particularly, I believe, its Schulze
variant) is that it satisfies all kinds of nice properties.  The obvious
adaptation you mention fails a property which I consider a very important
property of multiple-winner election methods (namely, proportionality).

However, there is a proposal from Markus Schulze for a multiple-winner election
method that is claimed to satisfy proportionality and that contains the
single-winner Schulze method as a special case.  (See
http://m-schulze.webhop.net/schulze2.pdf)

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Jyväskylä
http://antti-juhani.kaijanaho.fi/newblog/