Re: Expulsion process: Sven Luther - Decision

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 01:52:11AM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> Hello world,
>
> As you all know there's been an expulsion process (following the
> procedure outlined in [1]) running, with Sven Luther as the
> nominee. We've finally reached a decision. *Please* read the full mail
> before you reply, as we will give detailed reasons why we decided the
> way we have. Take a minute (or hour) to think about your reply before
> you actually send it. (Something that could be done more often by all of
> us).

Joerg, James, NM-ctte, fellow Debian Developers, Debian Users, World at large, ...

You will find here my reply to your expulsion procedure, including mention of
the many irregularities and non-respect of the procedure, your non-respect for
the strong opposition of a vaste (75 to 7) majority of DDs in the discussion
on debian-private, and your total lack actually seeing the complete set of
responsabilities and this and trying to come to a fair ruling.

I wish you would either take back this decision, or be fair and extend it to
Frans Pop, Anthony Towns, and Steve McIntyre, who share in no small part the
responsability of more than one year of strife and infighting for which i was
summarily judged here.

Profundly hurt,

Sven Luther

About the expulsion procedure :
===============================

Plan :
  0) Summary
  1) What the procedure does say
  2) What happened
  3) Supporters / Opposers of the expulsion
  4) The content of the complaints
  5) Conclusion

0) Summary, for the impatients
- ------------------------------

  - The expulsion discussion on -private showed a overwhelmingtratio of 75 to
    7 people opposed to the expulsion, the majority of them strongly opposed,
    and various who said they would leave debian if the expulsion has gone
    through. The DAMs did ignore most of those, chosing only to quote
    non-attributed passages of the pro-expulsion in length.

  - The expulsion procedure was shady at best, not reaching quorum, not being
    dismissed after the 2 weeks of the initial request as per the procedure.

  - both Anthony's original request of 3 months ban as well as the renewal of
    interest in seconding the request on february 21 coincide with the end of
    the DPL election and my DPL candidacy.

  - i am not alone responsible of these events, and was under continuous
    agression since fall 2005, principally by Frans Pop. Anthony Towns and
    Steve McIntyre where acting as DPL and mediator, but where fully in favour
    of Frans Pop since the begining, and thus share equal responsability in
    the events reproached to me. As thus, all three of them should suffer the
    same penalty as i am facing

1) What the procedure does say
- ------------------------------

First, the expulsion procedure was illegal, and as thus the final decision on
it is not valid. The procedure is described in :

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/08/msg00005.html

And lists in step 2 (expulsers search seconds) :

  The time limit for this step is 2 weeks. If there are not Q supporters
  after 2 weeks, this process ends.

And the following part of step 3 (informing the expulsee) :

  If the nominator gets enough supporters we will write a mail to the
  nominee about it, including the names and reasons of all
  people involved.

Furthermore, on step 1 (nomination), it is written :

  We reserve the right to reject any nomination if we think the nomination
  will not survive the following process or is caused by animosity between
  two developers, like simple packaging disagreements.

2) What happened
- ----------------

So, this are the rules set forward by the DAMs themselves, and now let's look
at what happened :

  On January 3, Anthony Towns puts in a request for my expulsion to the DAMs.

So, this is the official step 1. It is clear that the expulsion request does
not fall under the cover of a technical abuse of debian ressources, but result
from a (largely gotten out of hand) animosity between two developers (namely
Frans Pop and myself), so the DAMs could have rejected the procedure at this
point, but let's look into this later.

The step 2 starts on January 3, and has a 2 week duration, which brings us to
january 17, at which time i should have been informed of the request, as per
step 3 cited above. This was not the case, instead :

  On January 5 or 6, Joerg Jaspert contacted me per irc, and then phoned me,
  telling me about the expulsion request (i have some mails requesting your
  expulsion in my mailbox, and i need to do something about them), and we
  discussed, and i was asked to talk only about technical issues on debian
  lists, and no more try to solve the social mess which lead to this problem.

  During the months of february, i posted only twice on debian lists, the
  first time when i declared me as DPL candidate (and debian-vote had
  explicitly been declared non-bannable during the thread in december), and a
  second time, due to a mistake of my part in the week preceding FOSDEM, when
  i was trying to organise for a TV for the booth.

  On February 24, Joerg Jaspert, acting DAM in this issue, sent me an email
  which never reached me. On February 25 afternoon, i had a quick talk with
  James Troup at FOSDEM, the second DAM, who didn't say a word to me about
  this. On January 26 evening i finally received the expulsion request mail.

So, apart from the lost occasion to solve this in RL on an occasion where many
Debian Developers where present, 54 days passed between the expulsion request
and the informing the expulsee step.

  => This is the first flagrant irregularity of the procedure.

So, i was distressed and hurt because even if i respected the two month ban,
before it was even ended, and while i made effort to bring hardware for the
debian booth, the expulsion was still going forward, despite me following the
recomendations of Joerg Jaspert.

So, now on to the content of the expulsion request :

Accordying to Jaspert's mail, Q was set to 16 :

   Current Developer Count = 1016
   Q ( sqrt(#devel) / 2 ) = 15.9373774505092
   K min(5, Q )           = 5
   Quorum  (3 x Q )       = 47.8121323515277

   This means 16. Step 2 had a timeline of 2 weeks, end was 21 February 2007.
   All together we got 18 supporters, which means we are above Q and have to
   go on.

Here, we see for the first time the date of February 21 included, and the 2
week timeline was explicitly mentioned, which would have put the begining of
the expulsion procedure on February 7. It is interesting to notice that i had
officially declared myself as DPL candidate on February 6, so it is now
evident that the expulsion request was a direct reaction to my DPL candidacy,
and this procedure a way to get ride of a candidate. Well, maybe there is
another explanation, but i fail to find one.

So, the expulsor was

  Anthony Towns

and the supporters where :

  Manoj Srivasta (srivasta@debian.org)
  Michael Bank (mbanck@debian.org)
  Martin Michlmayr (tbm@cyrius.com)
  93sam@debian.org
  fs@debian.org
  John Goerzen (jgoerzen@complete.org)
  Frans Pop (fjp@debian.org)
  Andres Salomon (dilinger@debian.org)
  Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org)
  liw@iki.fi
  Geert Stappers (stappers@stappers.nl)
  tolimar@debian.org
  Jeroen von wolffelaar (jeroen@wolffelaar.nl)
  tfheen@debian.org
  micah@riseup.net
  decklin@red-bean.com
  (Thomas bushnell) tb@becket.net
  Theodore Tso (tytso.mit.edu)

Well, first, a very strange way to name people by their email addresses, and
not their full name, but well. We have 18 supporters, so, barely 2 more than
the bare minimum.

There, a first suprise can be found, none except the expulsion request from
Anthony is dated, nor signed by their authors.

  => This may be a second irregularity, how can those non gpg-signed mails be
  evidence ?

A second surprise follows immediately, the first mail is not Anthony's
expulsion request, but Andres Salomon's expulsion request from start of march
2006, which had been taken back by Andres himself before it could go further.
Furthermore, it contains various lies or innacuracies, but we will go into
this at a later point.

  => The supporter mail from Andres is not a response to Anthony's expulsion
  request, but predates it by 10 months, and has been retired, so it cannot be
  accepted accordying to the DAMs own procedure. There is a supporter mail
  from Andres farther down, so his supporting is still valid.

Then follows Anthony's expulsion procedure, which he clearly was the result of
animosity due to an exchange i had with him during these days, and which asks
for a suspension of 3 months (which would coincidentally have ended around the
end of the 2007 DPL election, of which Anthony is candidate).

We have then a bunch of mails, without dates, and which show evidence of
dating being supporters of Andres Salomon's expulsion request from marsch 2006 :

  Decklin Foster :