Re: Bits from the DPL: DSA and buildds and DAM, oh my!

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:15:08PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:53:52AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> >IMO setting up an RT system will not fundamentally solve any of this, but
>> >will at most make it more manageable. The only way to solve this is by
>> >having new blood in the teams, people who will take on the most boring
>> >and routine tasks with enthusiasm because it is new and who bring fresh
>> >ideas and the energy to implement them to the teams.
>>
>> The idea behind the RT setup is to help us on the way to growing the
>> teams. It might sound unlikely to some, but I'm told there have been
>> problems in the past with people tripping over each other when trying
>> to work on tasks. We have multiple volunteers who want to help out; as
>> more people come on board who may not have worked together in the
>> past, the probability of coliisions grows substantially. That's one
>> place where RT will help. It will also allow people to keep better
>> track of what jobs have been requested and help in terms of feedback
>> to the requestors too. It's not a magic bullet (we all know that), but
>> it should help.
>
>IMO the best effect of a request tracker will be that it will help document
>the typical workings of the team, and that way help any new members get
>acquainted with what needs doing and how it gets done. Poor man's
>documentation, if you will, but actual documentation nevertheless.

Yeah, good point. That's a very useful side-effect.

>The collision handling by 'taking' tasks in the request tracker prior to
>doing them is a nice idea, but, it's neither a particularly convenient
>solution (people tend to hate administrivia), and fortunately the problem
>is not such a show-stopper (the task still gets done, even if a few more
>man-time-units are wasted).

OK. I think it might also be a useful way for new people to be
evaluated - assign some of the easier / less critical tasks to them
and see how they work on them. It'll help track those after the fact.

You raise the blade, you make the change... You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane...