Re: Bits from the DPL: DSA and buildds and DAM, oh my!

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:53:52AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> >IMO setting up an RT system will not fundamentally solve any of this, but
> >will at most make it more manageable. The only way to solve this is by
> >having new blood in the teams, people who will take on the most boring
> >and routine tasks with enthusiasm because it is new and who bring fresh
> >ideas and the energy to implement them to the teams.
>
> The idea behind the RT setup is to help us on the way to growing the
> teams. It might sound unlikely to some, but I'm told there have been
> problems in the past with people tripping over each other when trying
> to work on tasks. We have multiple volunteers who want to help out; as
> more people come on board who may not have worked together in the
> past, the probability of coliisions grows substantially. That's one
> place where RT will help. It will also allow people to keep better
> track of what jobs have been requested and help in terms of feedback
> to the requestors too. It's not a magic bullet (we all know that), but
> it should help.

IMO the best effect of a request tracker will be that it will help document
the typical workings of the team, and that way help any new members get
acquainted with what needs doing and how it gets done. Poor man's
documentation, if you will, but actual documentation nevertheless.

The collision handling by 'taking' tasks in the request tracker prior to
doing them is a nice idea, but, it's neither a particularly convenient
solution (people tend to hate administrivia), and fortunately the problem
is not such a show-stopper (the task still gets done, even if a few more
man-time-units are wasted).

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.