Re: Debian, Iceweasle, Firefox!

Please quit top posting.

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 04:52:29PM +0100, Piotr Dziubinski wrote:
> Iceweasel and Firefox are a different products, very similar, but different.
> So I think that debian should no longer use firefox as a name for iceweasel
> package!

Except that the release managers and package maintainers don't want to
leave their users without an upgrade path.  They felt that Iceweasel was
natural upgrade path.  I must say that I agree with that since it is
effectively the same thing as Firefox, but rebranded and with a couple
of non-free bits removed.

I think that automatically upgrading people to Iceweasel is better than
leaving the stagnant Firefox package since:

- The security team can't support
- Debian is not allowed to continue redistributing
- People may not know to go looking for it

> I will give you an example:
> You are typing:
> aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade
>
> and after that you realize that you have no longer debian, but knoppix or
> ubuntu...
> ups... they are very similar you can say, but did you want to change your
> debian to ubuntu?
> I think: no!

What you are saying does not make sense.  Debian -> Knoppix and Debian
-> Ubuntu are not natural upgrade paths for many reasons.

> Be realist, do everybody have a time to read all news carefully?

No, but you said all you wanted was an announcement.  I gave you three.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez