Re: Social Committee proposal

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 07:06:33PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > I should also note that we have this sort of an effect already - if
> > someone wishes to impose their ideas on others, for example to
> > modify a certain package in a way that they think is right, they can
> > usually achieve it by working hard enough and being patient enough
> > to take over the package.
>
> > Yet, we also have a tyranny of the minority effect, when e.g. a
> > person with an uncommon opinion maintains a package in a way that
> > contradicts with the wishes of others.
>
>         In both these cases, those that do the work make the
>  decisions.  People who do not like it, and are willing to do the
>  work, can fork and offer alternatives.
>
>         We don't generally let the majority decude how the working
>  minority does its work.

Er, that's not a technically sound argument. Just because someone is more
diligent in making uploads and more vocal in trying to explain why they
should maintain a package, that doesn't in any way imply that what they are
doing is better than what a person less intent on racing uploads and mailing
list posts would be doing.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.