Re: Social Committee proposal

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:11:36 +0100, Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> said:

> Hi, This idea arose from a discussion on the -private mailing list.
> Andreas Tille, Gustavo Franco, Manoj Srivastava and Gunnar Wolf all
> commented fairly positively on a vague idea of having a social
> committee (soc-ctte), different from the technical committee
> (tech-ctte).  I'm citing their names simply to avoid an issues with
> taking credit.

        I am sorry I gave the impression I was in favour of a social
 committee, such was not my intent.  I intended to say, on -private,
 that such a tasking should not be overloaded onto the tech committee,
 and  that if a social committee is formed, then election might well
 be a good mechanism of filing its ranks.

        My own characterization of my position is indifferent to
 mildly negative.

        Why don't I think it is a good idea? Well, because, unlike
 technical issues, social issues are very subjective.  Also, social
 and cultural norms differ widely from culture to culture; which
 culture  shall be represented  in, and whose norms shall be enforced
 by this social/cultural committee?

        For example, in Indian social settings, the cultural norm is
 that "seniority" begets respect; and it is unseemly to argue with or
 be  disrespectful to your elders. Hmm. On the other hand, I would
 not be opposed to the cultural committee enforcing that norm :)

        Then there are other cultural norms -- like, some categories
 of people shall be seen but not heard; based on class "shut up, ye
 peasant", caste (Jaldhar would be one of the most respected voices
 under this clause), or gender (I had better not get into this one, or
 Judy shall have something to say about this) --  and then there are
 the heathen and the ungodly.  Which cultural norm shall we enforce?
 Does the majority culture get to impose its view on the minority
 cultures?

        Who gets to decide which culture is better than the other?

        Ones mans respectful atmosphere is another woman's strait
 jacket and stultifying morass. Who shall be ascendant?

        Me, I'd rather be not caught in the middle of this one.

        manoj
--
Criticism comes easier than craftsmanship. Zeuxis