Re: Social Committee proposal

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 05:55:03PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         But the technical issues are often not subjective; while
>  social issues almost always are subjective, and very very heavily
>  influenced by cultural bias.
>
>         Voting implies the tyranny of the majority; and I would expect
>  the social and cultural norms to be heavily biased towards white,
>  male, occidental euro-american social and cultural modes; since such
>  is the composition of the voting population.
>
>         I am not sure I want to be governed by such a social /cultural
>  policy.

All that you say is true, but it is also true that *right now* we all abide
by various social and cultural norms which are of various shapes and forms.

The forming of a group which would discuss these subjective matters in
an organized fashion wouldn't make them any more or less important, but
it would give them a much more fair hearing (or at least more fair than
a typical flamewar).

As far as governing goes, I explicitly said in the proposal that the
committee should not have many powers, and indeed that its initial instance
should have an even more reduced set of powers from one that we could
envision it to have, so that we don't rush anything.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.