Re: Planet policy?

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 08:26:52AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> This is "Planet Debian" so it should be mainly about Debian.

I disagree. A blog is what a person thinks about; a planet is an
aggregation of blogs of people who have one particular thing in common.

It's clear from the above that "this is Planet Debian" does not
necessary imply "this is about Debian, only" or even "this is mainly
about Debian". Personally, I think that's a good thing -- if not for
Planet Debian, I wouldn't have known that Evan does a lot of wiki stuff,
that the Wammu upstream author is a Debian Developer, that I disagree
with Anthony Towns on a number of details about what Free Software
is about, and that I just don't like Someone Who Shall Not Be Named. All
that knowledge can be useful from time to time, all of it in a Debian
context. If Planet Debian wouldn't have these blogs that rarely talk
about Debian, I wouldn't know this.

I read Planet Debian with liferea, and yes, there are a number of people
who's posts I usually skip with 'Ctrl-N'; and yes my "Unread posts"
vfolder is modified so that it skips posts by this Someone Who Shall Not
Be Named. But there are a number of people whos posts I /do/ like to
read, even if they're not very often writing about Debian...

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22