New page (for the website) informing about the Debian trademark

(CC'ing debian-project as there might be people in that list that might
have an opinion about this change)

As most developers (me included) are not very much aware of the status of the
Debian trademark I believe it would be interesting to add a page to the
website that described more information about the Debian trademark and have
that linked from the footnote "Debian is a registered trademark of Software
in the Public Interest, Inc." in a similar way as to how the website's
license is.

Attached is a first draft of such a page. I would appreciate input on this
information as I would like to add it to the website soonish. Please note
that it just states facts, it does not go into any opinions on whether the
current status is good, bad or whatever.

Thanks

Javier
#use wml::debian::template title="Debian's Trademark Policy"

<H1>Status</H1>

href="http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=75386376";>registered</a>
the 21st of December of 1999 but has been in use since August 1993. It is
registered under the Nice Class 009: "Computer Utility and Operating
System Software".

<H1>Allowed use</H1>

<H2>Current policy</H2>

href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/debian-announce-1998/msg00006.html";>announced</a>
Bruce Perens, Debian Project Leader, in 1998:</p>

For example, if you make a CD of our Debian GNU/Linux distribution, you can
call that product "Debian". If you want to use the name in some other way, you

"Debian" in the name of the business, or a domain name of the business.</q></p>

<H2>Future changes</H2>

href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/10/msg00003.html";>announced</a>
by Martin Michlmayr, Debian Project Leader, in 2003 (also available
as SPI resolution <a href="http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/2003-06-03-bmh.1";>2003-06-03-bmh.1</a>, a Trademark Committee was started
to review SPI's trademark policy. This comitee can be contacted at
spi-trademark@lists.spi-inc.org</a>.

href="http://wiki.mako.cc/TrademarkFreedom";>Benjamin Mako Hill</a> and a
different one drafted by

<H1>Registration outside the US</H1>

<P>A similar trademark is registered by some other associations related to the
Debian Project over the world, this includes <a
href="http://www.debian.or.jp";>debian JP</a> in Japan (<a
href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/09/msg00161.html";>registered</a>
in 2002), as well as Stiftelsen SLX Debian Labs in Norway and Vincent Renardias
in France.

<H1>Organisations licensed to use the trademark</H1>

the Debian trademark through a License Agreement:

<ul>

<li>Stiftelsen SLX Debian Labs, per SPI's resolution
2004-01-05.bmh.1</a>)

1999-08-06.mgs</a>.

<li>The Debian UK Society, <a href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2005/08/msg00280.html";>by Branden Robinson</A>, Debian Project Leader.

</ul>