Re: soc-ctte discussion at DebConf7 [was Re: Social committee proposal]

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 05:19:27PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 09:19:46AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > The biggest decisions need to be publicly documented however. I don't
> > think we've clearly drawn the line here. I'm also unsure if it's important
> > to have a clear line here. We can just let the ctte draw the line where
> > it's appropriate given that any communication concerning the ctte should
> > ideally be archived on master.d.o just like other aliases are archived
> > there (press@d.o, secretary@d.o, etc.) and that DD should be able to
> > consult them.
> I was going to suggest DDs being able to read it, exactly like that,
> but I did get a vibe from Bdale and others that even that would be
> too much exposure.
> I'm not sure, someone should elaborate if they disagree.

I think that the internal discussions should be kept private to
the soc-ctte at least as long as no decision is made. As decisions made
by the comitee will probably quite often involve social behaviour of DDs
I think it's problematic if all DDs can read the internal discussions of
the comitee members. I believe that the comitee members should be able
to discussion various options without the fear that something could be
publicized (probably resulting in a flamewar) before even a discussion
in the comitee is made.

After a decision is made I think it's less problematic to make the
discussion available to all DDs. But still there is the problem, that
offending behaviour would be exposed to all DDs.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
~ Samuel Beckett ~