Re: Two GR concepts for dicussion

[honouring m-f-t]

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 02:35:51PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 03:15:12PM +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:
> > > This sounds like a good idea to me.

> > > I'm not sure exactly what the criteria would be but basically you'd
> > > diff the previous and new packages and allow only certain kinds of
> > > changes (eg, changes to existing programs in /usr/bin would be fine).
> > In what ways can maintainers of packages generally screw over users of
> > other packages?  Don't people notice fairly soon and certainly before
> > the packages are out of unstable?

> > I imagine this is easier with library packages with many dependent
> > packages but I can't imagine those would often be maintained by DMs.
> If DMs not maintaining libraries is how you expect this problem to be
> mitigated, you might want to consider making this an explicit policy.

Not really.  I don't think discouraging competent DMs from maintaining
libraries is a good idea (hopefully a lower barrier to entry to the
archive will also encourage people to join NM).

I really do think that an easy reovcation procedure where a few (2? 3?)
DDs can sign mails to remove a DM from the keyring is the way to
moderate this.  This could even be automated.

--
----------( "This isn't flying, it's falling with style" --  )----------
Simon ----(                  Buzz Lightyear                  )---- Nomis