Re: updates in stable do happen

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Bart Martens wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 10:34 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > that nothing will happen anymore in Debian stable in the next 24
> > months.
>
> That is sooo not true.  Please see the sections "News" and "Security
> Advisories" on this page [1].  This is far from "nothing".  If you feel

Why do people feel the need to disagree for the sake of it?

Charles probably knows our policy for stable releases. And security fixes
and important bug fixes are good, but it's understandable that it has
nothing to do with a new release that brings new upstream versions of
major software.

Like Charles, I think it would be doable if it didn't mean having to
support security-wise one more versions in parallel to what we already
have (oldstable + stable).

If we're going to experiment something like that, I think it would have
to:
- be a subset of our packages and it should concentrate on applications,
  we should avoid library updates in that section
- have a policy of continuous updates (new upstream versions of
  applications are always coming in after all)
- have a policy of manual testing and approval while the packages are
  staging in the "proposed-updates"
- have some kind of agreement from the maintainers that he's going to
  security support his package in that new section

In the end, this is exactly an officialy integrated "backports.org". :-)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog