When Debian 4.1 will arrive... will anyone care?

Dear all,

	There is one fact that I find very true in this article (which
in general takes an unnecessary polemic tone).

	Some users, I guess some developpers and contributors, and at
least myself, find it very demotivating to think that a new release
means that nothing will happen anymore in Debian stable in the next 24
months.

	Since there is a consensus to say that upgrading the whole
system every six month is a heavy overhead, I think that there is no
other choice than innovating or dissapearing. Innovative directions
are for instance backports.org, volatile.debian.net, or custom Debian
distributions.

	I propose another idea: having a major.minor release scheme in
which we guarantee the upgrade path from major.x to major+1.0, and
from one minor release to the other. One big obstacle common to all
these directions is to find a security strategy which would not drain
all the workforce of the Project.

	But definitely I agree with the main message: if the fruit of
our efforts is available one year before in Xandros, Linspire, Ubuntu,
Knoppix, Mepis, Quantian, ... that in Debian, who will care when Lenny
will be released ?

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org