Re: Debian 4.0 finally arrives... does anyone care?

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 08:19:03AM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5673962628.html

> Merely somebody who likes Fedora and (Open)SuSE better than Debian, or
> somebody who has a realistic view of the world?  While I'm personally happy
> to use etch, I might be a bit biased...

It does not seem the "reporter" even tested debian, he's just citing
comments from /. The real problems behind this clickbait article seem
to be:

1) there is a bug in etch kernel. (#418344 seems)

While the bug was mentioned in some forums, it was not reported in
time to BTS. Clearly there are users who find using BTS daunting, and
thus we don't get bugreports in timely fashion.

2) X is still hard to setup.

This one is harder to figure out. The alternative is that this writer
is talking about yast and/or graphical installer. His sentences
don't really sense to me. Anyway I think it't not necessarily a good idea to
put much effort into graphical setup tools.

Much better alternative is *Automatic* setup tools. We have achieved
much of this in d-i. D-I is text-mode in it's heart, but it is automatic,
so it's actually very easy to use.

For an example, we should not work on a distro-specific setup GUI,
which has a checkbox "enable 3d acceleration" (like SUSE has). Instead
installation should automatically setup 3d acceleration if it is
available _AND_ bug-free.

> (There are many news items more or less just quoting the release
> announcement, there are some that are very positive, but I think where we
> learn is how people *don't* like the release,

This is a very good point.

--
"rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups