Re: what to concider during the election of the DPL

"Patrick Frank" <paddy.frank@gmail.com> wrote:
> I doubt hard that I am the only one who thinks that Ian Murdock makes a few
> very good points about the Debian Project's situation.

And I doubt I'm the only one who thinks that Ian Murdock is talking
out of his skull at points in that Linux Format interview.  I've been
told that debian isn't pure democracy - it just votes sometimes.

If this was meant to be a social experiment, it's not a very
adventurous one: it's not much different from any business larger than
a sole trader.  Sometimes the partners or shareholders or advisory
board reviews the leaders' actions and endorses or ejects them. Having
votes and maybe a board or cttes doesn't mean poor leadership unless
you appoint the wrong people.  So what would make a good person for us
to elect in the DPL election?

Well, a strong leader is not someone who pushes others in a certain
direction, sticking fast to unpopular decisions - the strongest
leader is someone who leads many other strong people to push in the
same direction, building consensus.  If you've seen them, compare the
firey, stubborn non-leaders you see on shows like The Apprentice
http://www.bbc.co.uk/apprentice with experienced leaders like John
Harvey Jones http://www.swindonoffice.com/articles/johnharveyjones.htm
and Gerry Robinson http://www.open2.net/nhs/ - whatever you think of
their careers, it's hard to deny their leadership.

Let's hope we have a stronger leader elected as DPL next time.

Regards,
Webmaster/web developer, statistician, sysadmin, online shop maker,
developer of koha, debian, gobo, gnustep, various mail and web s/w.
Workers co-op @ Weston-super-Mare, Somerset http://www.ttllp.co.uk/