Re: Bits from the DPL: DSA and buildds and DAM, oh my!

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 01:09:12AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> So, basically my question remains: why does it have to be so incredibly
> difficult to allow new members into these teams?

Probably because fixing them requires spending a sufficient number of
man-hours and a substantial amount of will power, enough so that properly
fixing them always gets ranked in the "we can do it later" category.
But anyway, it doesn't really matter, I shouldn't rant here, there's no
point.

There should simply be no more question marks; that sentence should be
rephrased into "It does not have to be so incredibily difficult to allow
...".

> I have no problem with development work being funded, but an organization
> that is founded on volunteers should be able to maintain its core
> infrastructure using those volunteers.

About this point... I'd mention that we could ponder reimbursing people for
doing something either particularly intensive or particularly menial. But
anything like that should only happen once we get past the whole unclogging
phase. (Although I would actually ponder reimbursing an existing
debian-admin for their time going through three dozen machines running
visudo, that is just tedious :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.