Re: Bits from the DPL: DSA and buildds and DAM, oh my!

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 12:13:03PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> I think they contribute /better/ if they aren't closely supervised.
> I think that's seen some results over the past year, including much
> improved spam protection for debian.org addresses,

Er, we now have implemented measures that are actually years old. That's
certainly a result, but it's not really a *good* result, because a lot of
time was wasted.

> a new and much faster ftp-master along with two dinstall/britney runs a
> day

I'm not acquainted with the specifics, but if the hardware upgrade brought
on a much faster service, then that's also a result that is certainly a
result, but not a *good* result, because it could have been achieved years
ago.

So, to go back to something that you started with...

> I think it's worth recognising that when we say we're not doing a good
> enough job, *we* are still the ones setting and raising the bar.

...there was no bar-raising being done there, only lowering. :|

And I would argue that this happens *because* there is little real
accountability and/or supervision.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.