Re: Bits from the DPL: DSA and buildds and DAM, oh my!

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 10:44:55AM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
>   Do you want a Simple example ? For almost 4 or 5 months (if not more)
> there is no Alpha machine available to developers, one being restricted,
> the other in lock down, waiting for a setup I guess (<-- did you remark
> the I guess ? I mean I don't know what's going on, and nobody knows
> afaict). The "problem" is, I'm now helping packaging the glibc, and we
> have a couple of alpha-only bugs. Things really stupid like headers
> problems, that would almost take a full minute to be fixed. BUt that bug
> fix is pending james, Ryan or a local admin work (again I've to guess),
> and nothing is coming, neither explanation on why no alpha machine is
> accessible, nor why it takes so long, nor an ETA.

[...]

>   I understand they cannot communicate about _everything_. But a
> downtime like that _is_ worth communicating.

I'm not sure what you're asking to be communicated.
https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi correctly documents the status of escher
as 'lock down', and yes, this status is unchanged for many months because of
the lack of a kernel image for alpha that includes the fix for the last
security hole.

It's been suggested that the local admin might find the time to work on this
subsequent to the relocation (the same relocation that caused the alpha
buildd outage -- goedel and escher are hosted together).  But it would be
premature to plan around that, currently escher is not just locked down, it
doesn't respond to pings at all.

I plan to see what I can do to help on this if it remains unresolved, but
not until post-etch...