Re: Bits from the DPL: DSA and buildds and DAM, oh my!

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 12:57:01PM +0100, Frank K?ster wrote:
>> All we are
>> allowed to consider with respect to these teams is to help *them*, not
>> to achieve help?
>
> You can reasonably expect them to do what they've said they will, or
> what the role obviously entails.

Obviously, being a buildd admin entails "never answer any e-mails".
Some admins have failed this requirement at times, but generally they
fulfill it quite well.

> That's not what I was referring to though: I was talking about when
> you want someone else to do things in the way you'd like, rather than
> the way they prefer. That's something that only ever happens if you
> help out

I'd like to have a point of contact for buildd issues.  How can I help
out when I have no means to get in contact with the people who are
responsible for these issues?

> You're not owed anything by people who freely donate their
> time to maintain things you use, it works better if you remember that.

We are not talking about what individual DDs can expect from core
teams.  I think we are talking what the project as a whole can expect.
Moreover, the people who freely donate their time also give the
impression of letting no one else do it.

> All I'm saying is it's a two-way process -- if you spend lots of time
> actually helping out someone, and they don't return the favour by helping
> you out, you shouldn't keep wasting your time.

Like, trying to get packages built that fail in a way that seems to
depend on the buildd environment, about which I know nothing?

I should go a way and have a cup of coffee now, Frank

--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)