Re: Criteria for a successful DPL board

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:37:53AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> It tries to give:
> - more momentum to the leadership: clearly a single leader is swamped with
>   administrivia and even the addition of a 2IC didn't let Anthony finish
>   his first proposal (about giving single-package upload rights to some
>   people which don't want to become full DD but want to maintain just one
>   or two packages)

Did finishing this proposal entail the policy *and* technical
implementation, or only one or the other?  I would submit that the
policy part is the DPL's job, but the technical is probably not as it
can be delegated to a capable DD to implement within the confines of the
stated policy.

What, precisely, prevented Anthony from setting down the policy?  Did it
require additional approval that was not forthcoming (e.g., a GR or
other policy instrument that required wider approval)?  Did the things
that kept him bogged down really fall under the responsibility of the
DPL?  If so, how will having a group of bogged down people be an
improvement over having a bogged down individual?

> - better decision taking: when you have a big discussion, it's difficult to take a
>   decison alone, you take the sole responsibility of it... whereas when
>   you're 10 which are deciding, it's easier to assume the outcome.

It is also harder to accomplish anything.  Depending on your point of
view, this can be good or bad.

> - better respect of the leadership: if you don't like the leader, it's
>   easy to dismiss any of its decision, but if you have 6 people in the
>   board that you respect and 4 that you don't trust too much, you're more
>   likely to accept the outcome of a given decision.

I disagree.  Please look at how the general US population views the
Congress.

> It's also a form of leadership that fits better our own internal workings.
> If a board member goes MIA, we still have 9 others who are there.

That is a valid point.

Regards,

-Roberto

--