Re: Social Committee proposal text (diff)

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 10:49:51AM +0200, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
> Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> writes:
> > +    <p>The Social Committee may ask a Developer to take a particular social
> > +    course of action even if the Developer does not wish to; this requires
> > +    a 3:1 majority.</p>
>
> OK, what happens if the Developer doesn't take the required course of
> action? With the ctte it is easy, somebody does an NMU, but I don't
> see how you can do something similar in social situations.
Begin a member of the Debian project is a privilege. In the US, having a
drivers license is also a privilege. If you do something wrong, the can
be given a 'warning', you can have 'points' added to your driving
record, you can be temporarily suspended, etc. In most cases, there
may be a person in the project to continue work on a persons package or
even a maintainer outside the project who can be sponsored to continue
work. So a persons work on a package can be restricted if someone
wished. I could site a certain person who shall be nameless as an
example. But there is a certain reluctance to do this in a volunteer
project because you'd be restricing someone's volunteer time activity
which is something that has a certain scarcity to it and not to be
wasted. Not to mention the effect it could have on their future
participation. So when is Debian willing to take any action in regards
to limiting someones involvment? It seems certain volunteer organization
like say the Red Cross have a clearer idea of this. Debian less so.
|   my keysever: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org         |