Re: something related to the soc-ctte

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 11:41:30AM -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > After reading about various issues that arise in Debian on a social level, I
> > thought about a possible solution: a Developer BTS. This would be modeled upon
> > a mixture of the packages bts and Ebay seller comments.
> For what ever reason I thought it was a good idea at the time, it
> appears folks think its totally evil. I never thought of ebay sellers
> comments as evil. But in any case, I shall not purse any future ideas on
> this path.

It's not actually too evil, but it's sufficiently bad to be avoided.

The difference between such a semi-automatic bug tracking system and
a committee processing of a problem is that the latter won't really be
susceptible to hit'n'run abuse, semi-random insults and whatever subjective
nonsense could reasonably be expected to plague a more automated system.

This is no different for a technical committee than it is for a social
committee - a complaint lodged before the entity will have to come with
context, be discussed rationally and at considerable length, and a decision
made about it, closing the issue. In the hypothetical situation where
someone gets google'd years after a problem, it's not really different
whether the problem was a technical or a social matter, because it would
still not be some random bashing.

Whereas if it was a page with gobs of assorted and potentially
unsubstantiated accusations, that wouldn't really be good to have.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.