Re: Debian Etch Stable.

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 01:00:38PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 12:30:16PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >
> > > Can you please roughly outline what is going to happen when the
> > > experiment is continued until its scheduled end, and what's going to
> > > happen when the experiment is aborted immediately as you suggested?
> > >
> > > I would be interested in the difference of the two action lists.
> >
> > Well, the experiment is flawed upto a point to start with. We all are
> > interested, and maybe even for some have a compulsive need to participate to
> > the debian effort, and as thus it is a violent effort even for those who
> > decided to become less active in protest against the 'experiment' to actually
> > go on with the boycot.
> >
> > So, right now we have this experiment ongoing, whose measure of success is
> > rather vague and knowing the persons involved and how previous conclusions
> > where taken from the most flimsy of facts, the only way for those opposing the
> > experiment to act is to freeze their involvement.
>
> Let me ask again: What is going to happen when the experiment is
> continued? Which experiment steps that are scheduled will still need
> to happen?
>
> As far as I remember, the experiment has two steps, paying Steve for a
> month and paying Andi for a month. Steve's month is already over, and
> Andi is like in his third week. So - again - as far as I remember
> there is only one week of experiment left in _any_ case so it does not
> make too much sense talking about continuing or not. It's over soon
> anyway.
>
> If I'm wrong, please correct me.

How are you going to measure the long-term demotivation which results from the
experiment ? How are you going to measure the already happened demotivation ?
How are you going to guarantee that the previously demotivated folk who
remotivate themselves after the experiment is finished are not going to be
counted as favourable elements of the experiment.

Like said, the experiment will finish once it is officially finished, and once
the analysis has been done, and the final report result is published. Given
the impact of long-term demotivation, you can thus not expect the experiment
impact to finish any time soon.

How are you going to measure this anyway ? Will we do a survey asking every DD
how he feels about the experiment, maybe also include the more nebulous set of
NMs and other not-directly involved folk ?

If this experiment was really upto its name, something such would have been
engaged. Why do we not now take contact with one of the numerous folks who
started doing sociological research into the debian community in the past, and
ask for an external analysis of this "experiment". I am sure most of them
would be most interested in doing this, as it would result in a nice paper or
whatever.

So, Anthony, what steps are you going to take now to get a real and impartial
analysis out of this experiment ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther